The State Land Service (hereinafter - “SLS”) is a governmental institution of the Republic of Latvia which was established in 1992 to implement land reform. SLS is in charge of real property object data accumulation and dissemination to institutions responsible for land management and supervision. The SLS is supervised by Minister of Justice.
The main tasks of the SLS are as follows:
- provision of the State Information System of real property cadastre and registration of real property and property object data – registration and updating of textual and spatial data on real properties, land units, buildings, groups of premises, parts of land units, system maintenance and development of Real Property market data base maintenance, provision of data accessibility in on-line mode;
- maintenance of textual and graphical information in the State Address Register – registrating and updating of textual and spatial addressing objects, system maintenance and developing, drafting and updating of administrative territory border descriptions and graphical data;
- mass valuation of real property - land units, buildings, groups of premises, parts of land units, the development of cadastral value base, determination of special values;
- implementation of national land reform policy – maintenance of Rural Land Privatization Register, taking decisions on renewal of land proprietary rights or transfer of land into ownership for payment in rural areas, consideration of border disputes in rural area,organization of state funded land cadastral surveying for former proprietors;
- maintenance of central database of high detailed topographic data central database – accumulation of high resolution topographic data of all state territory;
- maintenance of Information System of restricted zones – registration and data updating of restricted zones and objects;
- cadastral surveying of buildings and groups of premises – obtaining textual and spatial data of buildings and groups of premises for updating the information in the State Information System of Real Property Cadaster, management of methodology for cadastral survey of land and buildings.